Ginger Jeans

Jeans, I made Jeans! I know, I never ever thought in my wildest dreams that I would be able to say or write that! I booked a class at The Village Haberdashery to make a pair of Ginger Jeans with the Rock Star teacher, winner of the Great British Sewing Bee (no less...) Charlotte!

I was so apprehensive that I would mess it all up and end up with nothing remotely wearable but I didn't (well apart from a little accident along the way but we won't go in the details). After all I never made a pair of (simple) trousers before, let along a pair of jeans....

We started by making a toile to check the size and fitting and make all the necessary adjustements (the most difficult part in my head) but so worth it as it made all the difference to get a pair of well-fitted jeans at the end of the class. In my case, the front legs needed to be slightly adjusted so the front of the jeans at the crotch wasn't too long.

With the toile fitted and the pattern pieces adjusted, we moved to cutting all the jeans pieces, and there are many!

So the cutting took quite a bit of time but by the end of the first day we had managed to make some good progress and to start constructing the pockets. Again there are quite a few of those!

Day 2 we finished all the pockets and the front of the jeans with the zip. Quite an involved process altogether! So glad to read in the instructions, woot woot you have finished the front!

Moving to the back, which somehow was more straightforward. Then to putting it all together (and checking that the back pockets were in the right place!). And then the waistband to add!
We then moved to the button hole and the hardware. Well I am officially not strong enough for the hammer banging! But I came home to a nearly finished pair of jeans (belt loops and hems were missing) after Day 2!

And onto Day 3, where I hemmed the jeans and added the belt loops and ta-da! I'm a sewing ninja, according to Heather Lou!

With plenty of the day left to play, I had unpicked my "toile" and cut all the missing pieces during the week, ready to rock'n'roll! First step is the fun and easy one of drawing on the back pockets
and by the time we stopped for lunch, I had managed to get to the zip, nearly finishing the front
I came home to a nearly finished second pair of jeans, only missing the belt loops!

I am so happy I took this fantastic class with Charlotte. I still can't believe I had made jeans... twice as well. I might have already bought fabric for a third pair!



And of course, that's 2 more OPAMs for June and some big ones!
Linking to Let's Bee Social, Whoop Whoop Friday.

Celine

Comments

  1. OMG I am so so impressed, Making jeans. That just completely boggles my mind

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed your visit. I love reading your comments.
Thanks again and I hope you come back to see me.

Popular posts from this blog

Blog hop and a giveaway

September in the Hexagon!

Dare to Dresden - Day 5